We do our best to keep the information on this page as up to date as possible. However, all details are subject to change, so if you are in any doubt about any aspect of the event, please get in touch.
We are excited to announce that pre-registration for the Las Vegas face to face Middle-earth game is OPEN!
The event will be held from Friday, June 28th through Sunday, June 30th, 2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. Our plan is to start the event on Friday @ 4pm and finish by Sunday @ 4pm. This is dependent on player travel schedules and may be adjusted prior to the event. Optional events may be held on Friday prior to 4pm, such as advanced JOverseer training.
About the Event
You and a bunch of other awesome MEPBM players, and Clint Oldridge from M.E. Games Limited, all the way from Cardiff, Wales, UK
A face to face game of MEPBM 3rd Age 1650
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
June 28-30, 2019 (Friday through Sunday)
Because we are fans of Middle-earth.
Played over a weekend in-person with quick turns and a whole bunch of fun.
We are estimating that the event will cost approximately $515 USD (or £405 GBP) to attend. The final amount will be impacted by the total number of players who sign up and the amount raised through player sponsorships.
This fee will include:
* Game fees for your nation (any players with dual nations will be a charged an additional amount, to be determined)
* Two nights (Friday & Saturday) hotel stay at the event venue hotel (Gold Coast Hotel & Casino)
* Five meals (Friday dinner, Saturday lunch, Saturday dinner, and Sunday lunch)
* The costs to run the event, including meeting space and equipment
Players will be responsible for their own travel to/from Las Vegas on their own, as well as breakfast during the event days.
If we collect more money than is necessary to run the event due to player sponsorships, we will use the additional money for amenities such as refreshments and snacks in the team rooms, and event gifts such as t-shirts and mementos.
Players are expected to bring a laptop with them to submit turns. If you would like to attend but do not own a laptop, please contact Raven Zachary, email@example.com, to arrange for a loaner laptop for the weekend.
(Tentative - to be refined)
Friday Morning & Afternoon Activities (Player Sponsors Only):
* Champions of Middle Earth (CME) 1vs1 Games
* Player Sponsors Lunch with Clint
Friday Late Afternoon, 4pm start (All Players):
* JOverseer Training (all players are invited to this – bring your laptop) - even you JOverseer pros will learn something by attending this
Friday Evening Activities (All Players):
* Group Dinner
* Clint Presentation / Updates from Middle-earth
* Team and Nation Assignments – team go to their team rooms for planning, extra time planned for the first turn
* 1-2 turns likely that night
Team and Nation assignments may be sent to players in advance of the event. Stay tuned for more details.
Saturday (All Players)
* Times TBD - likely 9am-9pm
Lunch and Dinner provided.
Sunday (All Players):
* Times TBD - likely 9am-4pm
* Optional post-game dinner and drinks nearby
NOTE: If all players can schedule out-bound flights on Monday or later, or get a late night Sunday flight out, we will keep playing past 4pm.
Hotel Stay in Las Vegas
Please do not make hotel reservations in Las Vegas.
We are including your hotel reservation with the registration process as it allows us to get benefits for the players at the hotel venue, including meeting space, team rooms, meals, and other services. The room block requirement means we are advising players not to do room sharing, as was originally discussed, as this harms the overall deal terms for the event. Selecting the Gold Coast Hotel & Casino was the best overall deal, despite players not being able to share rooms.
If you intend to stay in Las Vegas for more than two nights (and we encourage you do to so), you have two options:
1) Extend your reservation at the venue hotel, the Gold Coast Hotel & Casino, through Middle Earth Games. This is the preferred option. Details are forthcoming. Extra nights, such as the Thursday before or Sunday after, are expected to cost approximately $75 USD plus tax and resort fees. We will provide an option to pay for additional hotel nights at the Gold Coast Hotel & Casino with your second half payment in the next few months. Stay tuned for details. Please do not make a reservation at the Gold Coast Hotel & Casino for additional nights directly, as this will not be credited towards our event.
2) Make reservations at a separate Las Vegas hotel for the other nights. Friday and Saturday nights are covered in your registration fees. By staying at the Gold Coast Hotel & Casino on the additional nights (option #1 above), you can help the event meet its financial obligations to the venue hotel.
Travel to Las Vegas
Feel free to make your travel arrangements (but not hotel reservations, as this is covered in your registration fees).
We encourage you to fly in to Las Vegas on Thursday (or sooner) and fly out on Monday (or later), if possible, as this will allow us to have more time for game turns on Friday through Sunday. We understand that some players will not be able to arrive early and depart late due to their work schedules or personal obligations. Taking Friday, June 28th, as a work vacation day will reduce the chances that you may arrive late. If you are flying in on Friday, please plan to arrive in Las Vegas as early as possible to avoid unexpected travel delays and support us starting earlier on Friday. If you are flying out on Sunday, please pick the latest possible flight as to not miss the final turns of the game. Our plan is to start the event on Friday @ 4pm and finish by Sunday @ 4pm.
If you are unable to arrive into Las Vegas until later on Friday, your nation will be managed by your team until your arrival.
You will need to bring a laptop for JOverseer turn processing. If you cannot bring a laptop with you, we will make arrangements for players to volunteer to bring an extra laptop with them for others. Stay tuned for more details on this. If you do not have a laptop, but plan to attend, please email Raven Zachary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Game Length / Turns
TBD, but if we’re efficient and focused as a group, we could get as many as 20 turns in during the weekend. We’re aiming for at least 12-15 turns. How successful we is entirely in the hands of the players. The game might not have a clear winning team by the end of the weekend. In that case, Clint will call a winner when we finish.
Current plans are for one turn per hour, but this may change.
3rd Age 1650, 24 nations, 12v12, no Neutrals - this is Clint’s request
NOTE: At this time, this does not include the Champions variant. I will be curious to know if players want this or not.
Based on the number of people who attend, we have three game tiers that we can pursue…
* Tier A: 4-8 players in attendance: Likely Untold War variant, either 2 nations each or 1 nation each based on turnout
* Tier B: 12-18 players in attendance: 3rd Age 1650 no neutrals 12v12, both teams in Las Vegas in separate rooms. Most players starting with two nations
* Tier C: 18-24 players in attendance: 3rd Age 1650 no neutrals 12v12, both teams in Las Vegas in separate rooms. Most players starting with one nation
If only 4-8 players can attend the event, we will likely reserve two adjoining hotel suites with living room spaces instead of getting meeting rooms. Right now, based on interest level in the event, I don’t think we are going to have a problem getting at least 12 people to attend, so we’re almost certainly going to do a 3rd Age 1650, 24 nations, 12v12, no Neutrals game.
What happens if more than 24 people want to attend the event? We don’t know…yet. : ) At current interest levels, we don’t believe this will be the outcome. Stay tuned. If it happens, it happens, and we will need to accommodate for this in some manner, whether than means two games at once or some other solution.
Special Game Rules
These are still being determined. Initial thoughts from Clint include…
* If we end up with 12-18 players with mostly two nations each, we will give one of the double nations to any players who have been eliminated in the game so that they can keep playing through the weekend. We will need to figure out the financials of this situation (e.g. if one player pays for two nations, but then needs to give up that second nation to an eliminated player), but we will make sure that it is fair.
* If a nation is eliminated due to a mistake (e.g. bankruptcy timing issue, order error, etc.) Clint will use his judgement and may allow that nation to stay in-game with some penalty to the team (e.g. gold reduction, etc.).
* Clint may play a nation (or nations) based on turnout. If this takes place, players on the opposing team of Clint will understand that Clint will do an excellent job separating his role as player and his role as GM for the event. : )
* Clint will assign players to teams based on balance. GM choice here. Any player sponsors who purchased a sponsor tier with the choice of team and/or nation will be given priority.
* Players will provide Clint with a list of preferred nations for their assigned team and Clint will make every effort to assign one of those preferred nations to you. However, there are no promises.
* You may have a life-long MEPBM buddy coming to the event that you want to team up with. Clint will do his best to accommodate team and/or nation preferences, where possible. However, there are no promises. There are a lot of pairing variables to deal with and not everyone will get the exact team or exact nation they are hoping for. Regardless, it will be fun for all.
Events generally have two sources of funding – attendee registration fees and commercial sponsorships. It is not uncommon for events to raise 50% of their funds through registration fees and 50% through sponsorships (sometimes even more than 50% through sponsorships). These sponsorships help reduce the cost of the event for attendees so that registration fees can be reduced to a reasonable amount. Due to the nature of this event (a fan-organized gaming event), there are no commercial sponsor opportunities. To compensate for this fact, we are going to introduce player sponsorships. This will allow us to collect additional funds to run the event at a reduced cost for all players. All money collected through player sponsorships will be allocated to reduce the registration costs for all players.
If you are interested in being a Player Sponsor, please contact Raven Zachary, email@example.com.
Email Raven Zachary at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest!